Voting

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Beginning


On March 29, 2010 was one of the hardest days we have experienced as parents.

It was this day we decided to make an appointment for Andrew because of a limp that just wouldn't go away. Though he never complained about anything we knew something just wasn't right.

On March 28th Andrew and Nathan were outside playing with a neighbors dog. Very casually I mentioned something to our neighbor about Andrew's limp. Our neighbors comment was something like this... "I don't want to scare you but, my nephews had this disease called Perthes disease and it started with just a limp about the same age as Andrew is (6)." Not too long after coming inside, Andrew was coming down the stairs and just stopped. He was struggling, but still didn't complain, he just figured out that he had to use his good leg first. Of course after this I went to the internet to find out more. The internet is a wonderful but horrible tool at the same time. By the time I was done searching I was sure that Andrew would be fine and the odds were he would not have Perthes disease, but the limp still bothered me.

Monday came around and we got an appointment for that afternoon. It was very quick, we talked to the doctor, she ordered X-rays on his hip and less than a 1/2 hour later we got the news. Standing in the hallway at the doctors office, Andrew's doctor went over the X-rays with us. Pointing to Andrew's right hip Shawn and I both knew from the research the night before what we were looking at. Our doctor explained that she had another patient a few years ago that had it, but other than that she had limited exposure to the disease and recommended a specialist. With her limited exposure she was still very positive it was Legg Calve Perthes Disease (LCPD).

Our next step, immediately limiting Andrew's physical activities. Yeah right! An athletic 6 year old not being able to run, jump and play sports, that is definitely going to be a challenge. The same day, we scheduled an appointment with a Pediatric Orthopedic at Children's Hospital of Milwaukee. The earliest we could get in was Thursday April 1st. Luckily only a few days waiting and searching the internet. Not a fun week, all the possibilities of what could happen and a lot of Kleenex.

On April 1st when we went to the Pediatric Orthopedic appointment, the doctor first talked to Andrew, which I thought this was great. If Andrew didn't feel comfortable it was going to make things a lot tougher. Then came the time for us to talk to him. The first piece of information was be ready for a lot of ups and downs, a lot of frustrating times and ready to not get the answers you want. This is an unpredictable disease in that there are no percentages, no definite time lines, no for sure outcome. 2 kids, exactly the same age, same amount of damage doing the same type of treatment can end up with completely different results. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge planner. There is nothing about this that I can plan for! The only thing I knew for sure is that we had to wait, 4 more months until our next appointment and we had to watch Andrew struggle more and more each day.

3 weeks later it has already been a roller coaster ride. Some days Andrew is completely fine, then the next day he struggles to walk. This will be a long road, but we as a family and with the help of all those around us, Andrew will beat this a be an active kid again. This disease is not life threatening nor does it affect his thinking, so we are blessed in that way. God only gives you what you can handle, so I guess we will handle this!

Please check back, every so often Shawn or myself will update this to let everyone know how it is going. Thank you for your love and support, Andrew is truly lucky to have so many who care about him.

10 comments:

  1. Sending my love and thoughts for you and Shawn and especially Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be thinking and praying for all of you and hoping for more "up" days than "down" for Andrew! Thank you so much for creating this blog - it really is a great way to communicate on stuff like this. Watching a child struggle is tough (we've been there), but you both are wonderful parents and will do what's best for Andrew's success. Love and hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel too, so many of us parents have to watch at least one of our kids struggle in some way, often for years. Its not fun, but we can all get through it! You and Shawn are obviously great, loving parents with lots of support, so you have a lot going for you under the circumstances:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for doing this, Shawn and Caryn. It will save you having to repeat things over and over, and will let us keep up with Andrew's progress.

    I'm so sorry you have to experience this and again, please ask if you need help.

    What a cutie he is and love the family photo.

    Barb Applegate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing with us what is going on with Andrew. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Even if it is work related, just know that I am here for you.

    Take care and see you soon.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I've told you before- your whole family will be in my thoughts and prayers! Thank you so much for including me in on this blog- I think it is such a great idea! You are such a wonderful family and Andrew is a determined and wonderful child- I know you guys will get through this and although it is easier said that done- just try and stay positive!! You couldn't have said it better- god only gives us what we can handle- so hang in there Gehm's; you have a lot of people who support you! :)
    Please give Andrew a BIG squeeze for me!
    Thanks,
    Mrs. Stephanie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a nice way for us to keep up to date on Andrew...love to all of you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched the video link this morning and cried cause I was thinking, "this cant happen to our andrew!!" But at the end of the video, I realized that the little boy was pretty strong and didnt let the disease stop him from enjoying his childhood. Then I thought about our sweet little Andrew and what a determined young man he has already become. Of course I dont want to see my godson suffer in any way, shape or form, but I know andrew and how strong willed he is. Of any young men I know, he will be the one who I'd pick that will fight this with all he has, learn from the experience, and become that much stronger and more complete of a young man when he finally finishes and recovers from this obsticle. And he WILL come out of this with flying colors!! We love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for Andrew, Nathanial, Mom & Dad. You know we love you.
    karen :)

    "Cast your cares on the LORD
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never let the righteous fall."

    Psalm 55:22 NIV

    ReplyDelete