Andrew is now a 1st Grader! Where did the time go. As much as he loved school, his friends and teachers, school ended at a good time. The year ended tough for Andrew. Tuesday was "fun" day at school and was emotionally too much for him. He said he was sick, but it wasn't in his tummy like he said. It was out of frustration and sadness that he wanted to leave. He was tired of watching his friends being able to run around and have a good time and he just gets to sit and watch. In his words, this hip is making things boring. After a set of tears and a good talk from daddy. He was back at school to finish fun day and enjoy time with his friends. He came home happy and with little pain. Wednesday was the last day of school and was bitter sweet. Now he has to be stuck at home with mommy more of the time. Tough life!
Andrew is a trooper and the mental aspect is coming into play a lot earlier than we expected. Other kids and parents truly do not get it that Andrew wants to play with the other kids. When he is playing it always turns into something that he can't do. This is really hard for Andrew to understand why other kids don't won't just do something that he can do for more than 5 minutes. We are not being rude, I am looking out for my son when we leave and go and do something that he can do. Please mom's and dad's don't tell me he looks fine and tell me to loosen up a little he is just a kid. Really!!! No, he doesn't have a brace, cast, crutches or wheelchair and hopefully he never does, but he is in constant pain, not telling anyone because he doesn't want to be different and it shouldn't have to be obvious for a mom or dad to understand this isn't me being a strict mom. We are following the doctor's orders and doing what is best for Andrew. That is my job as a mom. The less running/damage he does now, the better off he will be down the road. If you can't understand that, I am sorry. Look into Perthes Disease a little more before you say something like that.
Whew...sorry about that, Ok, I am better now, thanks for the listening. Off to another day of who knows what.
Friday, June 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First - I'm glad to hear that he was able to go back to school for the last fun days! It's gotta be tough on him, but so happy to hear that Dad had some words of wisdom to get Andrew back in the saddle!
ReplyDeleteSecond - I am astounded that you are having issues from parents regarding things he can and can't do. I could see the kids being rude or inconsiderate, but the parents?? What would they do if they were in your shoes? Probably look for a lot more sympathy and whine a lot more than you guys are! From what I am seeing/reading, you and Shawn are taking a wonderful approach and trying to minimize the damage (like you said). Getting him into a different situation (that is still fun) rather than having him in tremendous pain the following days...great approach and one you should be VERY VERY proud of!! And if I was you, I wouldn't worry one bit about what they are saying, and you have a right to get a bit snippy with them. And maybe you should tell them what's on your mind and then they would realize what your family is going through because of this card that Andrew's been dealt. Make them think a bit before the spout off!
Stay strong and keep doing what you are doing.... if you have Andrew's best interest in the forefront of your mind you can't go wrong!!
Ha Ha... sorry for the book above :o)
ReplyDeleteThanks Angie. I was just very frustrated and I know no one means anything by small comments nor does anyone understand how hard this is on Andrew because he puts on such a brave face. We have a long road and I figured it was better to get my frustrations out completely instead of let them get me more upset. I guess I am using this blog as my out. It's all good and there isn't anything we can't handle. Hope all is well with you guys, thanks for being such a good friend.
ReplyDelete